Ad-Appt

Ad-Appt

Wednesday 3 November 2010

After work thoughts.

Confession time: I’m writing this from work. Well, after work – but still at work all the same. Due to today’s tube strike I spent the first hour of the day comfortably surfing the net on my smartphone. I use the word ‘comfortably’ because on the new smartphones its honestly only a little less convenient than on my desktop PC at home.

One of the few merits of riding the bus to work over the tube was that I had internet access. Soon, with Boris Johnsons plan to enable internet access in the tube by the time of the Olympics, this won’t be the case, and barring tube strikes I’ll have even less reason to ride the bus than I already do.

However, there seems to be the opinion amongst a significant amount of my colleagues that the tube is some kind of sacred ground, reserved for people watching, reading ‘The Metro’ and practising standing with your neck crooked at a funny angle. As much as I enjoy all of these things, I’d rather spend the time replying to Facebook messages that I’ll have to reply later, above ground, when I could be doing other things like living. Charing Cross currently has its first free wifi connection, and is the first London station to do so. It follows a similar system in Glasgows metro, which has already got a number of advertisers onboard to help fund the system. Personally, I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment